Midlife crisis is a term used in Western societies to describe a period of dramatic self-doubt that is felt by some individuals in the "middle years" of life, as a result of sensing the passing of youth and the imminence of old age. The result may be a desire to make significant changes in core aspects of day to day life or situation, such as in career, marriage, or romantic relationships.
However, the term of Midlife Crisis brings up many images. In US, it brings up deriding images of a person buying a red hot sports car, daydreams of flings, broken marriages and people acting as a child again
But in reality, a Midlife Crisis represents a deeper possibility for a person to become their dreams. However, those dreams are hard to realize within an un-supportive society and without clear personal understanding of the actual experience. People often end up hurting themselves in the process of trying to change. A person's life carries a lot of momentum from the past that tumbles them about heedlessly upon trying to change to be something new.
There is no one symptom or sign exists to define a midlife crisis according to my research and findings. Instead the experience is a combination of feelings, events and body changes that indicate a transformation is at hand.
I found there is a list of symptoms mixed about in random order to illustrate how defining the mid life crisis is relative to the person experiencing the changes. I will answer the questionnaire with 3 possible answer (Yes/No/Maybe).
- Looking into the mirror and you no longer recognize yourself. Maybe. When i am drunk, i felt i look better.
- Acne. No.
- Change in allergies. No.
- Changes to how food tastes. Yes. Obviously
- Changes to what you eat. Yes. In a very obvious manner
- Changes to the balance of vitamins you take. Yes.
- Desire for physical -Free Flowing- movement (Running, Biking, Dance, Fast red sports cars, Sky diving, etc). Yes. but of course not dancing and sky diving.
- Exploring new musical tastes. Yes. Love to listen to Jazz and Light music that can cheer and relax myself.
- Sudden desire to learn how to play an instrument. Maybe. but i do not have time yet.
- Sudden interest in drawing, painting, writing books or poetry. Maybe, writing article blog is it consider?
- You see how everything is totally fucked up and you have new ideas on how to fix it all. Yes. may be i am stressed out over my life, that's where i learn from
- Changing or investigating new religions or churches or new age philosophy. No. not interested
- Changes of habits. Activities which used to bring pleasure now are boring. Yes. Struggling at this change.
- Discouraged about doing the same things. Yes, i hate the feeling of repeating and bored stuffs.
- Shifting sleep patterns (Typically to less). Maybe. Cause i can't sleep well at night also.
- Desiring to quit a good job. Maybe. Sometimes, when i totally out of my mind.
- Unable to complete tasks which used to be easy. Maybe. Sometimes when i am totally day dreaming. I forgotten what suppose to do.
- Unable to concentrate on tasks which used to be easy. Maybe, same as above.
- Thinking about death, wondering about the nature of death. Maybe. Sometimes when i really do not know what else to do. Especially when i hit no through road.
- Taking dietary supplements for the purposes of extending life. Yes. because afraid of death sometimes when i think life is so wonderful.
- Unexplained bouts of depression when doing tasks which used to make you happy. Yes. This is totally unexplainable.. my surrounding should know well on this.
- It feels good to get hurt. Yes. however, this sounds a bit sick.
- It takes longer to heal injuries. Maybe. Not Sure.
- A desire to get into physical shape. Yes, wanted to look good and smart at all time. which i didn't really bother last time.
- Irritability or unexpected anger. Yes. Very easily.
- Buying new clothes and taking more time to look good. Yes. Is very obvious!
- Hair changes. (Natural changes in thickness, luster, color or Assisted changes in dying hair suddenly or shaving your head bald) Maybe. Wanted to but couldn't find a time for myself.
- A desire to surround yourself with different settings. Yes. really trying to make a different in my lifestyle.
- Hanging out with a different generation as their energy and ideas stimulate you. Yes. It stimulate me with different energy and ideas.
- Restarting things, which you dropped 20 years earlier. No. Not at this stage. I am still young.
- Upset at where society is going. Yes. because the BN government is totally screw up.
- Feeling trapped or tied down by fiscal responsibilities. Maybe. Wait till my Type R is on the road. i can describe further.
- Leaving (Mentally or Physically) family. Maybe. Sometimes.
- Want to change the world for the better. Yes. but often got pull down.
- Feeling trapped in current family relationships. Maybe. Sometimes felt this way.
- A desire to teach others or become a healer. Maybe Yes, Maybe No. I thought is part of life for the elder to teach/help the younger.
- Desiring a simple life. Yes. trying to change myself with a simple life.
- Looking back to one's childhood. Yes. always look back and think back the childhood days.
- Playing again just to play! Maybe. As part of mid-life crisis will turn someone to feel like a child.
- You keep asking yourself: "Where am I going with my life?" Yes! i did ask myself frequently. Even to my surroundings.
- Desire to learn something new. Yes. trying to learn and to know something totally new. To have the new FEELING.
- Recently experiencing something extremely stressful. Stress can trigger a Midlife transformation. Some examples include: Changing Jobs, Divorce, Death of someone close, Chemical/Toxic exposure upon the body or experiencing a major illness. Hopefully NO!
- Sudden interest in spiritual practices, religions or paranormal that before you would have discounted without a second glance. Hopefully NO! as well.
- Doing things upon a whim. Yes... can't control this also.
- Doing things that get you into trouble when it surprises everyone as being out of character. Yes. Is obvious maybe i need attention.
- Someone unexpectedly exclaims: "You are going through a midlife crisis!" No... because they think that i am too young to go through this crisis.